Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Better Living Through Technology: Find My iPhone meets TaskRabbit

     I left my iPad on the floor of my rental car and didn't miss it until after my flight departed. I kicked myself for my stupidity all flight long. But when I landed at SFO I remembered Find My iPhone and turned it on-- my iPad had "wandered" off the Hertz lot, likely to an employee's home. I sent nice messages to my iPad screen: "Call or email for $50 reward" as
well as nasty: "I know where you live!" I was even able to find a phone number for the address via Google Maps but the gentleman who answered played dumb -- or was he shocked by my midnight call? Police no help.
     My Aha! moment came when I realized I could use TaskRabbit to bid to have someone recover my IPad. I found "Carlos" in the "Mover" category-- figured he was burly-- and for $50 he agreed to track down my iPad the next morning. But when I awoke, I got a call from the person who had my iPad. He shrugged off the reward and within an hour my TaskRabbit had picked up my iPad and sent it to me via FedEx. 
     My iPad is now home and my faith in humankind and technology is fully intact.

No comments:

Post a Comment